pretty

October 15, 2012

Our Little Archaeologist








Our flower beds, once full of cigarette butts, soda cans, plastic bags, and 6 foot razor-thorned weeds, have begun to sprout flowers and beautiful green plants. London and I water them every day, until our meager tank drips dry, and they are looking fabulous. Being out in our "backyard" is finally the pleasant experience I imagined all those weeks ago. It makes me want to do something crazy--like buy a bird feeder or invite everyone we know over for a barbecue.


We took another Jordanian bus out of the city on Saturday. The trip was an organized event, and about 2/3 of the BYU students came. An hour an a half on the windy roads of the King's Highway, a hike up one desert mountain, and we finally reached the Machaerus Palace (where John the Baptist was imprisoned and beheaded). The palace lies on the top of a mountain overlooking the Dead Sea. Most of the structure has been demolished from centuries of conquests, but the foundation remains, so you can see the outlines of all the rooms. I bet it was quite the palace, 2,000 years ago. 

Before the hike- you can see the ruined palace pillars and the Dead Sea.
A few of the single girls planned a "seductive dance", imitating the evil daughter of Herodias. London heard the word "dance" and ran up to join them. She was so proud of herself. When the music started, it was actually the Hokey Pokey, and London ran back to me, crying. London thinks "dancing" is something you do only to Taylor Swift songs. 




Afterward, the bus took us to see the most famous mosaics in the entire country, and I honestly bet, the whole world. Just don't ask me to pronounce the name of the place. It's an old Byzantine city where every inch of the church floors are covered in tiny colored stones and shells, 1 cm X 1 cm. 




We spent almost two hours walking in the ruined city and taking pictures of the artwork. It was all so beautiful! The workmanship was remarkable. I can't even imagine the hours it would take to complete all the churches in the ancient city.

Rock in hand.






Sweet London wanted to pick up every rock she saw and carry it with us. The best part was watching her pick which ones she would let go of in exchange for ones she thought were better. Everyone said she is destined to be an archaeologist. 

Meanwhile, helping at the orphanage remains the highlight of my weeks here. I'm tutoring two 11-year-old girls who remind me of darling Maeci. This week, they wrote me notes in English saying, "I love you so mush". Through my laughter, I told them I love them too.






Today, Kyle and I had our first "I miss America day". Nothing a trip to buy fresh persimmons can't remedy. *Sigh*. We like it here...




1 comment:

Unknown said...

leave it to you to look like a babe even in a plain white oversized t-shirt and khakis! I don't know how you do it. I miss you! I hope you're loving your time there but I'm excited to have you back :)