pretty

January 27, 2017

It's magic

Tara and I grew up together. We spent summers sleeping on her trampoline or her driveway, went to summer camp, kissed boys, spent three hours getting each other ready to go to the movies, and laughed our way through adolescence, while Dashboard Confessional played in the background. AND, much to our dismay, it had been three entire years since we had last been together. I planned to fly to Connecticut, where her husband is in school, but then news that her husband might have an opportunity to work in a clinic in Utah over the holidays changed everything. Instead of a cross-country flight for me, a twelve hour drive for me and Kyle and our four littles was arranged. 
We stayed with my mom's sister, whom my children love to death. She gave them candy, had an entire box of play-dough on the kitchen counter at all times, and played pretend with them fervently. And for three days, Tara and I talked endlessly, while Henry tried his best to demolish everything in sight. There is something so special about a friendship like that...one that took a lifetime to create, and one that will never ever change. It was my greatest pleasure to spend a few days in Utah with her. And how adorable is her baby girl?! 









Temple Square in Salt Lake City...





We returned home to San Diego just in time for Christmas.
I used to look hopefully under the tree on Christmas morning, wishing that all the things I asked for were waiting for me to unwrap. But now, the only thing I care about at all is the look on the faces of four little children who believe in magic.
Annual sibling picture...
Here are a few of the gems I wrote down from that magical morning...
Elle, opening up a pair of Paw Patrol pajamas, "Mom, look at all these characters! These are SO adorable! I can't WAIT to wear these!"

Elle, opening up her "real horse", a Furreal walking pony, "WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON?! EEEEEEEE!"

London, opening her flying unicorn, "Mom, Santa found it! I can't believe he found it! This is exactly what I wanted!" ----Yeah, London, Santa deserves an award for that one. London was so happy that she didn't realize that the flying unicorn did not possess the ability to also grant her unlimited wishes.

Henry walked around the entire day holding a basketball, and shooting baskets with Kyle in his new mini hoop. It became his favorite word. "Ba-ball! Ba-ball!" And Juliette sat in her new doll stroller while all of her siblings, including Henry, pushed her in circles downstairs. 

I can easily say that this Christmas was the best day I can remember. I felt so overwhelmed with love for my family and gratitude to God for giving them to me. I am so proud of my kids- for the brilliant, kind, good little people they are. And when I look at these sweetest smiling faces, I think-- There is no greater love than what I feel for them! But it's Christmas, so these thoughts lead me right to where they should; to my Savior.

No comments: