pretty

October 2, 2017

All the Squirrels

The very last box to check on the Garvin summer vacation list for 2017 was our 2nd annual family reunion. My last visit to Lake Tahoe was a cousin's trip with Nani and Papa when I was a teenager, so it had clearly been much too long.

On the way up our beautiful state of California, I somehow managed to convince Kyle that what our kids really needed was to go tent camping. I don't know how I do it, really. My poor husband!
----But also, how boring would his life be without my antics? I also begged him to take the scenic route, which took us through the national parks.
I can happily say that this time, I was right.











I packed dinner and breakfast in individual tin foil wraps that we cooked over the fire, and the kids enjoyed smores for dessert AND smores in the morning after breakfast (just to seal the deal). I had some pretty happy kids.
-Notes for next time? We need pads to go under our sleeping bags---because good heavens, sleeping on the ground just isn't what it used to be. Also, scrambled eggs seriously stick to tinfoil. Soooo maybe no omelets next time.


After playing their little hearts out around the campsite, the kids were filthy. Henry's dirt had dirt on it. So I decided to buy a shower token and bathe all four the kids together before we officially left the campground for Tahoe. I scrubbed them all from top to bottom, while the powerful stream of water tickled their little bellies, and they laughed and laughed like I've never heard them all laugh before. Then I burst out laughing, because who can resist the laughter of four naked babies echoing in a campground shower stall?

As we pulled into Tahoe that evening, we watched as the sunset lit up the lake and the night sky. It was breathtaking.

Our first major activity there was family night. Kyle's mom and sister had done some family history research, and came to the reunion with photographs and stories from their ancestors. His great, great, (maybe another great or two) grandpa built the first church in Oregon, and helped establish a town there. Kyle's sister, Kaedi, brought a succulent for each family to take home from the grounds of that very church.



We spent hours and hours at Donner Lake and Lake Tahoe. Our kids swam and played in the sand with their cousins until dinnertime. The adults stayed up late visiting and sharing stories about our year apart. It was uplifting and motivating, because we all share such strong faith, no matter the trials that come our way.

Peanut LOVED all the squirrels Lake Tahoe has to offer, which she called "bunnies" the entire week.
-"Look, Mom! Bunny! Tree! Outside! Tuts (touch) it!"
-"No, Honey. That's a squirrel."
-"Squirrel?"
-"Yes, Honey. Squirrel."
-"Oh...( 2 second pause) Look, Mom! Bunny!"
(repeat x12)

On our final day together, we had the annual family talent show. I was kind of hoping my nephew, McKay would perform another comedy act to rival last year's, but he did wonderful performing a piano piece instead. All the cousins sang a song or played the piano- even Peanut sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to an adoring audience. Kimball and Taylor brought back their mind-reading magic show, which was once again, a huge hit. But the crowning jewel of the show was Kyle and Marc performing "Take It Easy" on their guitars.

SHEESH.
I am one lucky wife.

No comments: