pretty

August 1, 2019

Be Kind

I remember many sleepless nights kneeling at my bedside, begging God to give me Anorexia instead.  I would have done anything to take away her pain, to save her so she could finally be free to live the life I knew she deserved. But God didn't, because He had something greater in mind. He was shaping and molding my sister into someone unshakable. Taryn is the person she is today because of Him, because of her faith, and because she fought with everything she had to learn to love herself again. She is a fighter, a hero, and an angel that I can't imagine a day of my life without.

When I look at her life now, I can see the bigger picture. I see her amazing daughter, her kind and good husband, and I see her limitless potential to change the world. I am so proud of her for sharing her story of recovery and for spreading kindness in a world that so desperately needs it. She has taught me what it means to #bekindinreallife.

Kindness in our home means we take turns. Everyone helps when I'm cooking or baking in the kitchen, and there are always at least two kids on the kitchen counter or standing on a chair to help mix or flip or pour. 


Kindness in our home means we laugh A LOT. Because treating one another the way we would like to be treated allows everyone to be themselves and feel confident in their own skin. Dance parties around here are a daily occurrence. "ALEXA!!! PLAY SHAKE IT OFF BY TAYLOR SWIFT!"-Juliette




It also means that when our family circus (oh my gosh, are those ALL your kids?!) is out in the real world, we treat every person we meet with respect and love.
Kindness means we all recognize that we're growing and changing every day, and we are not perfect. I try to fill my kids heads with, "Oops! Mommy totally forgot! I'm so sorry. Will you forgive me?" and "Oh no! Mommy made a big mistake! I guess I'll have to fix it, won't I?"


My first baby-bump picture!!!!
Thanks to the example my sister has set, and perhaps most importantly, I am kind to myself. I recognize now that my thoughts and my words become the thoughts and words of these sweet babies I'm trying to raise. I try my best to never even think bad things about myself, which is really hard! But I do feel like after 8 years of mom-ing, it is certainly much easier than it used to be!

The Be Kind Company launches today! If you want to hear more about Taryn's journey through recovery, and see how her experience can help you face challenges in your life, follow her blog...Small Steps. And if you want your kids to look this stinking cute, while also sharing this important message, head to The Be Kind Co.com. 

And for real, remember to BE KIND. 

No comments: