pretty

August 27, 2012

Bella! Bella!

So, our flight left Salt Lake City at 11am on Wednesday and got to Rome at 9am on Thursday.
Thirteen hours of flying with a one-year-old was pretty tiring. She really did so well the entire flight, but after that long, my arms were seriously sore, and I hadn't slept for a single minute. London is on this "mom is the only one allowed to hold me" kick...meaning that no matter how much Kyle tried to help, London was mine for the flight. Once we landed in Rome, we needed to get to our hotel, which is about 45 minutes from the airport. At the tourist desk, they told us to take a train and then a bus to our hotel. This sounded perfect because we are traveling with 200 lbs of luggage, and we wanted a locker to store all of it in. London fell asleep for the "night" in my arms when we were walking to the train, leaving Kyle with all of the luggage. He loaded it on the train, bag by bag. To us, it was three in the morning, and exhaustion set in for me. We got to the station with luggage lockers thirty minutes later, and Kyle left me and London on the platform so he could get us a locker. The poor guy carried all of the luggage himself, strapping one on his back and pulling one in each arm. He came back thirty minutes later WITH THE LUGGAGE. By this point, London was still asleep, I had set her on top of our carry-on, and I was collapsed in a heap on the floor of the train station. A taxi finally rescued us and took all of our things to the hotel, which in the end, was cheaper than a locker. We went right to sleep, and woke up only to eat spaghetti and gelato.
We spent the day today at the Vatican, which by far exceeded even my lofty expectations. Every single detail was absolutely breathtaking.
One not so great idea was to CLIMB to the top of the dome. For anyone who has done this before, it is literally a straight up tunneled staircase made for midgets. Behind this smile is...not a smile.
After our tour, we ate the most insanely fabulous pizza ever invented. After my 5th slice, I started thinking about Eat, Pray, Love, and I realized that I would gain 30 lbs if I moved here too!
Kyle isn't feeling well -the humidity is pretty insane here- so we decided to do the colloseum tomorrow morning and call it a day!  It's hard to travel with a baby, but she loves it here! There are dogs everywhere and everyone on the street stops us to look at her and call her "Bella! Bella!". So far, Rome is fabulous :)

1 comment:

The Merkleys said...

I didn't know you did a Rome visit on your way to Jordan- that is so awesome! I'm glad you have this blog, we miss you guys!