pretty

August 30, 2012

American.

I've been here for a few days now, but I realize that if I were here for a few years, that wouldn't be enough time for me to adapt to the culture. I SCREAM American. From my smile to my laugh to the way I play with London to the way I look at Kyle- I am 100% different. On the plus side, I am married to Kyle. It takes him about .2 seconds to get everyone he meets laughing and telling him their life story. I knew he would be fabulous, but even I wasn't expecting him to be accepted by the people here so quickly! They all rave about his accent and I can't help but feel so proud to be his wife.

I wanted to include some interesting things that have blown my mind so far. There will surely be many more to come...


1) There are stray cats everywhere. The first thing I hear each morning when I step outside is a literal cat-fight.

2) The malls here are enormous, and each mall has a grocery store, phone store, clothing stores, restaurants, pharmacy, every store you could possibly need to go to, and you just push a cart around the entire massive building.
3) Gas is 50 cents a gallon. We can go on a 20 minute taxi ride, and it costs $2.
4) They have entire stores dedicated to just fruit and fresh fruit juices! They even have fruits I haven't heard of! It's fabulous!
5) Everyone drives nice cars. Most people drive Corollas or some sort of Mazda, but they are all new. I have even seen some Range Rovers and BMW's.
6) The people here drive twice the speed limit and pay zero attention to lines in the road, but I have yet to see a single car accident. In Provo, I drove past a few car accidents a day, then again, lets NOT get me started on drivers in Utah.
7) I haven't seen a single girl playing outside. Even in the public children's park--only boys.

So far, the hardest thing to get used to is not looking people in the eyes. Women are supposed to look down at all times, except when looking at each other. It's always a relief when I see a woman because I can FINALLY smile at someone, and they always smile back.


These pictures are insanely boring, but I wanted you to see what our house looks like...



The Living Room.


Never send your husband to buy the shower curtain.


The Kitchen.
I was going to include a picture from our balcony so you can see what the city looks like, but it's dark here now, so that will have to wait :(

Tomorrow is Friday and that is when we go to church- so crazy! Kyle and I opted to go to the ward where all of the members from the Embassy attend. I can't wait to speak English to other people! Yahoo!

2 comments:

C Bass said...

Good job on the shower curtain Kyle. Solid choice brotha.

taryn said...

there is nothing cuter in life than london!!!!! omg can u make a post with just like 20 london pix? i love u bb and miss u!!!!! so proud of u!!