pretty

November 13, 2012

New Perspectives

It's freezing here! And by freezing, I mean, it's in the 50's. One day it was 81, and the next, it was cold and rainy---like Portland, but without the redeeming pine trees. We celebrated the onset of winter with large, plastic tumblers of Mexican hot chocolate. The look on my sweet child's face for her first taste (more like chug) of frothy, cinnamony goodness told us that her whole universe had just been rocked--milk AND chocolate together!?!?!?!


Anyone who has lived in a foreign country for more than a month knows what it's like to miss American things. Kyle and I watched a youtube video of a guy "rating" a cheeseburger from Five Guys and nearly crawled/swam back to the homeland. The following day, we learned about a place called Feel Burger, whose customers promised the most Americanesque burgers in all of Jordan.




I'm happy to report that our cravings have been seriously satisfied.


The cold weather also awakened my creative side, and I am now knitting hat #2 for London. She likes to sit by me to try on the fraction of hat, and she always makes sure Dad is watching so he can comment on how cute it looks on her.



London likes to put out milk and wait for the kitten while she eats breakfast!

This week, while shopping at the supermarket, we were stopped by a family who wanted to play with London. This is a common occurrence, but this time, the father asked Kyle, "Please, would you come to our home? My wife will make you a meal! Please, would you follow us to our home?" Kyle looked at me, certain that I would graciously decline the invitation. But in the three minutes I had spoken to this man and his wife, I felt divine intervention, and I was prompted to accept. We followed the man, his wife, and their child in a stroller, to an apartment building a few blocks away. [It was midnight before we checked our watches and realized we needed to get to bed!] The night was full of laughter, stories, questions, and fabulous Iraqi food. The family was from Iraq, but had fled the destruction and unstable conditions in Baghdad and started a new life in Syria. When violence broke out in Syria, they escaped here, to Jordan. 


I am telling you- no amount of books you read or news stories you watch will ever compare to the account given by these absolutely wonderful people. Everywhere they have ever called home has been bombed and shelled to ruins. And yet, their perspective on the purpose of life and the love in their family inspire me to be a better human being. 


Their youngest child was a 4-year-old boy named Yusuf. He was the one sitting in a stroller, holding a soccer ball, when we first met. When we got to the street where the family lived, Yusuf jumped out of his stroller and starting running up and down the street, but with a severe limp. Kyle asked his father why he was limping, and he explained that Yusuf has a malformation in his hip that makes one leg longer than the other. They have been trying to get a visa for Yusuf to get surgery in the United States since he was born. All the red tape and security checks that they have to go through have taken up the last 4 years--seemingly with no end in sight. The parents told Kyle that Yusuf loves soccer, but will likely never be able to play soccer like a normal kid. At the end of the evening, they walked us home, and the dad begged Kyle to help in any way. He said, "I would give all the money I have for my son to get a visa." It is these kind of experiences that make me so grateful for all the things we have in America that we take for granted: clean water, medical care, safety. Our prayers were extra long that night, but Kyle and I can't help but feel so helpless. I hope with all my heart that they will someday be able to get their little boy the treatment that he needs.



For date night, we doubled with Carrie and Jeremy, and London was the fifth wheel. I was feeling under the weather, so we decided on a leisurely stroll through King Hussein's Auto Museum. 




It was actually cool! And I don't use that word...

I feel---different-after living in Jordan for three months. There are so many things I thought I knew or understood about Islam, Muslims, and the culture in general, before I came to live here. The kindness we experience every time we step outside of our apartment has forever changed me- for good.









3 comments:

Unknown said...

how cool :) those moments are so awesome when you connect with people that have a life so different than yours and who it's unlikely that you ever should have met in the first place. The story about the boy is so sad and reminds me how lucky we are--if one of our children needed a procedure like that, we would be able to get it done. I can't imagine being a mother and not being able to access something like that that your child needed. I feel like the injustice of it and my anger and impatience would consume me.

Frankie said...

My sweet Bristyl, you are so amazing. The experience you are all having on this journey will truly change your perspective on life and its conditions. Pops suggest you change a few things in the blog and send it to the Ensign, it would make such a statement. It would touch others hearts, as it has ours and maybe someone would read it that has influence and can actually help that family. We love you all so much.

Marcy said...

Hi Honey! It's enlightening to read your blog. You are becoming so worldly. Travel and int'l living really does change ones perspective on other lands and cultures. Yes, for all the faults with our government; USA is really the best place to be in the world (that I've experienced - I haven't been to the Netherlands yet though). Ha! I was concerned about you as I hear about the trouble in Tel Aviv - it's too close to you. Love you and your awesome little family. XOXO