pretty

November 19, 2012

The Good Life

...and then...












Thanksgiving came early in the Middle East. Last Thursday was the Islamic new year (according to their calendar it's only 1434!) so we decided to celebrate Turkey Day a week early. Also, on the real Thanksgiving, all the students will be volunteering at a Syrian refugee camp... Anyway--- the wives were in charge of preparing the feast for all fifty BYU students. We divided up the duties: mashed potatoes, stuffing, cobbler, pies, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots. The ovens in our apartments are large enough to squeeze one 9 X 13 pan- and I was prepared to cook all forty sweet potatoes in that measly contraption. Luckily, we have some friends from church who happened to offer their huge, American-sized oven and enormous kitchen for all my baking needs! Kyle and I packed a suitcase with the ingredients, pots, baking dishes, as well as some laundry to do in their big, beautiful washer and dryer, and taxied over to the embassy housing. Kiya and I did our thing in the kitchen while our husbands played with London and talked about Arabic. What would've taken me all day took only two hours, AND Kyle and I went home with FLUFFY laundry! It was glorious!




Thanksgiving dinner was actually kind of perfect. We even had a turkey, which was completely unexpected and insanely delicious. London tasted jello for the first time, and it was by far her favorite part of the meal! Afterward, our friends invited us back over to their house to watch Lord of the Rings and eat pumpkin pie. Sitting on that plush couch, eating our pie with real ice cream, and watching a movie on a big screen TV,  Kyle and I felt like kings.
London "helping" me bake.


That night, the protests broke out in Jordan. We stayed in our apartment for the rest of the weekend because even church was cancelled! We entertained ourselves by baking zucchini bread and online shopping for Christmas presents. On Saturday, we planned a getaway to watch Breaking Dawn Part 2, but London broke in a molar and we couldn't leave our sweet girl. Maybe next weekend!


With her Gorilla Munch- happy as can be!
The girls I tutor know I'm leaving soon. I wish I could take them with me- away from the nuns and the rules that lock them in. Children don't belong in orphanages. They belong with families and with mothers who will kiss them goodnight. I love those girls.

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Thank you Bristyl for your new blog. We wait inpatiently for it. You are such a blessing to those around you and I know will be surly missed when you leave as you have touched those children's hearts as you do all those that are in your presence, but we will be grateful to have you home, safe from the conflicts of war that is all around you.
My & Popa's love we send your way