pretty

September 2, 2012

Our First Field Trip



Yesterday was our first field trip out of the city. We rode a snazzy charter bus and a tour guide was included!



Having driven back and forth from Utah to San Diego about 13,000 times, I was surprised at how similar the landscapes here are to the desert back home. One thing we don't have are nomads living in tents with their goats and sheep. That stretch from Fillmore to Cedar City would be much more entertaining if we passed a few gypsies here and there.




First, we went to Mount Nebo. My favorite stop was the River Jordan, which I refuse to call the Jordan River because that's not what the Bible calls it. We will never know exactly where Christ was baptized, but we do know where the Byzantines claim he was baptized, and I was perfectly happy with that. Some people put their feet in, and the odor emanating from their feet was enough to send me back toward the sitting area. London was pretty upset with me for not letting her swim in the green, murky, oasis. The best parts were the mosaics depicting the baptism. The images are so beautiful and I felt this sudden peace reflecting on the Savior. 





Our final stop was the Dead Sea, which is named perfectly. It feels like you're swimming in oil. Instead of sand, the beach is solid salt! Kyle went for a nice little dip while me and London exfoliated our feet walking on the shoreline.




After a full day in the scorching heat of the Middle East, we were exhausted! We all took showers way too long for the amount of water they give us, put on our pajamas and crawled into bed.


1 comment:

Kaedi said...

You guys are so cute! I am LOVING this experience you are having. SO LUCKY!