pretty

August 24, 2015

Henry & Juliette

I went to my 38 week appointment completely defeated- it was time to schedule a C-section. I was preparing myself mentally for the surgery and the long recovery, knowing that there was nothing else I could do to go into labor myself, and accepting that my body had reached its limit.

My doctor left the room to call the hospital and reserve the OR. Three minutes later, she came back to say, "I don't want to section you. I can't do it. What if we compromise? What if you come in on Wednesday morning, and I'll break your water for you?"
I was speechless. Was she really going to help me, and give me a chance at a natural birth with twins?! I jumped from my chair to hug that angel of a woman.


"Look-it! Look-it! Babies! Babies!"
I waited five long days, only to be bumped down the list all day Wednesday. There simply were no empty beds, and the nurses apologized profusely. "Bristyl, it is crazy here. I'm so sorry! We all want you to have these twins today! We'll call you in a few hours with another update." At the end of the day, my doctor called to talk about my options. If I wanted her to deliver me, I would have to wait until Friday- and by the grace of God, I survived the next 36 hours.


Just after 9 am on Friday, Dr. Lacy broke my water. For the next thirty minutes, I didn't have a single contraction, and then, it finally happened. By the time the anesthesiologist gave me an emergency epidural, I was completely dilated. Henry was born first, at 12:14, and Juliette followed fifteen minutes later. He weighed 8 lbs 9 oz, and she weighed 7 lbs 7 oz- that is exactly 16 lbs of baby! I think I broke a few records.


 I don't know how God did it. There were times during my pregnancy when I couldn't eat or drink or walk or even move-- and through it all, I was carried by my faith. He pulled off the miracle He promised in the answers to a thousand prayers. My heart is so full of gratitude. Every time I look into the faces of my two little babies, I think I'll just burst with joy.


 On Thursday, Taryn travels back to San Diego and I am officially on my own. It's daunting, but could there be anything more worth the chaos? Wish me luck!


No comments: